Defining the scope of business / changes to the Commercial Register
06. 09. 2021
Please pay attention to the information below. You will find out whether you also need to make changes to your business entry in the Commercial Register.
If your Articles of Incorporation, Memorandum of Association or Articles of Association define the purpose and scope of your business as "manufacturing, trade and services not listed in Annexes 1 to 3 of the Trade Licensing Act" you must, according to the decision of the Supreme Court, change this designation and indicate exactly what activities your company is engaged in. In particular, companies that have this purpose and scope of business as the only one should make corrections promptly.
Until the Supreme Court judgment No. 27 Cdo 3549/2020 of 12 May 2021, it was legitimate to define the purpose and scope of business as "manufacturing, trade and services not listed in Annexes 1 to 3 of the Trade Licensing Act". This definition currently covers 81 types of unqualified trade. However, the Supreme Court held that the purpose and scope of business so defined in the Memorandum or Articles of Association does not meet the requirement of certainty, since it is unclear what the purpose of business of the company really is, nor can it be construed from it. Such a definition is too general and therefore invalid. The court administering the Commercial Register may require the company to change its purpose and scope of business and, if the company fails to do so, may even order its winding up. The judgment does not pertain to the definitions of trades in the Trade Register.
Supreme Court judgment No. 27 Cdo 3549/2020
 The provision of the Articles of Association, defining the company's business as manufacturing, trade and services not listed in Annexes 1 to 3 of the Trade Licensing Act, does not meet the requirement of certainty, since it is not clear from it what the company's business really is, nor can it be construed from it. Therefore, such a provisions is superficial due to the vagueness of its content (Section 553 of the Civil Code) and it is not to be taken into account (Section 554 of the Civil Code) [in the legal regime in force until 31 December 2013, it was an absolutely invalid provision pursuant to Section 37(1) of Act No. 40/1964 Coll., Civil Code]. Therefore, the purpose and scope of business in this form of words cannot be entered in the Commercial Register.
 No reasonable person in the position of a partner or member of a business corporation could infer from such a definition that it was the intent of the partners to engage in all of the expressly listed activities identified in the Annex, and thus the intention is that the purpose and scope of business will be an undefined range of activities.
 If manufacturing, trade and services not listed in Annexes 1 to 3 of the Trade Licensing Act is mentioned in the Memorandum of Association, and possibly entered in the Commercial Register as the purpose of business, then such an entry contravenes Section 25(1)(b) of the Act on Public Registries and must be remedied in accordance with Section 9(1) of the same Act.
We stand prepared to assist you in defining the purpose and scope of your business properly and registering it in the Commercial Register.
Felix a spol.
- News - Protecting Persons who Report Breaches of Union Law (Whistleblowers) (23. 08. 2021)
- The Act on the Registration of Beneficial Owners brings about new obligations and sanctions (29. 04. 2021)
- Legalink News: Covid-19 Pandemic in Czech Republic (01. 04. 2020)
- Current information Covid-19 / Employee Confirmation (16. 03. 2020)
- COVID-19 IMPLICATIONS FOR LABOUR RELATIONS (11. 03. 2020)
- THE REAL ESTATE BROKERAGE ACT (11. 02. 2020)
- AMENDMENT OF THE ACT ON THE RESIDENCE OF FOREIGN NATIONALS IN THE CZECH REPUBLIC AND CHANGES TO THE EMPLOYMENT REPORTING OBLIGATIONS (10. 10. 2019)
- Not registered in the Register of Beneficial Owners yet? What else you can manage to do by the end of the year? (26. 09. 2019)
- On the Draft Legislation on the Protection of Whistleblowers (19. 09. 2019)
- Legal governance of professional athletics in the Czech Republic (22. 08. 2019)
- Item of News - Personal Data Processing Act (31. 05. 2019)
- Personal Data Processing Act Adopted, Including New Rules on the Handling of Personal Identification Numbers (29. 03. 2019)
- Grace Period for Work Incapacity Abolished as of July 2019 (01. 03. 2019)
- Amended Trademark Law takes effect as of January 2019 (13. 02. 2019)
- Recording of beneficiary owners (26. 10. 2018)
- Laws and regulations in the pipeline businesses should watch out for towards the end of the year (13. 09. 2018)
- Amendment to the Public Procurement Act (30. 01. 2018)
- Vehicle transfer - registration (29. 01. 2018)
- Amendment to the act on special health-care services (31. 12. 2017)
- Labor code amendment (18. 12. 2017)
- Amendment of the employment act (14. 12. 2017)
- Amendment of the Labor Inspection Act (08. 12. 2017)
- The New Responsibility of Legal Persons to Disclose their Beneficiary Owner (21. 09. 2017)
- Amendment to the Building Act and Societies for the Protection of Nature and the Landscape (25. 08. 2017)
- Timely Preparation for the New Version of Personal Data Protection Regulation (30. 06. 2017)
- Prior Medical Instructions in Medical Law (13. 06. 2017)
- Copyright Act Amended (13. 04. 2017)
- The Insolvency Act Extensively Amended (07. 04. 2017)
- The Act on the Origin of Assets (30. 03. 2017)
- A New Legal Framework for the Protection of Personal Data (14. 11. 2016)
- The 2017 Minimum Wage (10. 11. 2016)
- CORPORATE CRIMINAL LIABILITY ACT AMENDED (14. 10. 2016)
- „RECAST“ OF THE LABOR CODE (05. 09. 2016)
- THE CZECH BAR ASSOCIATION CHARGED WITH ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION (ADR) (05. 02. 2016)
- Consumer Protection Act Amended (25. 01. 2016)
- Travel Claims (01. 12. 2015)
- Entries to public registries recordable directly by notaries (03. 09. 2015)
- Code of Civil Procedure and Enforcement Rules Amended: more protection of the unencumbered spouse (02. 08. 2015)
- Notification of tax-exempt income - a new duty when filing individual income tax return (01. 06. 2015)
- Amendment to the Public Procurement Act (15. 05. 2015)
- HEALTH SERVICES AND HEALTHCARE IN THE LIGHT OF THE PRIVATE LAW RECAST – TWO-TRACK LEGISLATION (11. 03. 2015)
- Contract of Inheritance among Novelties in the Law of Succession (21. 01. 2015)
- Mandatory Electronic Communication with the Tax Administrator (19. 01. 2015)
- Topical Issue: Energy Performance of Buildings Certificate (03. 12. 2014)
- POSSIBILITY TO REGISTER MACHINES IN THE LAND REGISTRY, SO-CALLED RESERVATION FOR MACHINES (30. 05. 2014)
- NEW DUTY TO PUBLISH DATA ON THE INTERNET (28. 04. 2014)
- Beware of pre-contractual liability (31. 03. 2014)
- ARTICLES OF ASSOCIATION OF COMPANIES UNDER THE ACT ON CORPORATIONS (20. 02. 2014)
- CONTRACT ON PERFORMANCE OF DIRECTORSHIP AND CONCURRENCE OF OFFICES AFTER CIVIL CODE RECAST (19. 02. 2014)
- Private Law Recast and the Labor Code (11. 02. 2014)
- Compensation of Wage or Salary during Sick Leave as of January 1, 2014 (28. 11. 2013)
- Legislation Accompanying the New Civil Code (29. 10. 2013)
- New Civil Code (02. 09. 2013)